Sunday, July 22, 2007

Making Meaning - The Art of Eva Henneberry - Post #1


Oil Spill
30 x 60", 2006

Artist Statement:

I used my sludge-pot from silk screening for painting the sea, then appliqued the images and shells. One of the birds in the front I made separately as a little sculpture, and applied it. This is actually how the idea started. I saw a very simple, extremely touching sculpture at the gallery of the Di Rosa Preserve a couple of years before. It was wooden, and of "Shaker style" simplicity, with no details, no eyes....it very much impressed me and I felt it to be a statement from the world we "dominate" and abuse. I have since wanted to make a similar statement. So Oil Spill started in my mind with that simple bird.

“While I love and enjoy creating aesthetically pleasing pieces, I feel truly most balanced when they also make a statement about the world I wish to help create. I believe that artists can participate actively in helping to shape a better world.”
.
For more information about Eva and to see her full range of art:

No comments: